Our whole curriculum, policies and practice throughout school is driven by our motto, mission statement and vision; alongside our commitment to the British Values.
We have long term plans in place and are developing 3yrs-7yrs knowledge progressions grids to enable children to:
- Build on learnt knowledge and skills during their time with us
- Provide inclusive learning with real context and experiences, deeper understanding to excite and motivate
- Understand the world around them, locally and more widely
- Prepare for their next stage in education
- Planning is completed weekly and half-termly in year group teams using knowledge of children, expectations, knowledge and skills progression and wider opportunities.
- We have short-term, medium-term and long term plans to ensure sequence and building on knowledge and skills.
- We have a 'Creative Curriculum' which is mostly topic-based learning using over-arching questions with an open ended structure.
- Topics are based on children's interests to inspire and on experiences they may not have, to enrich.
- We have good quality resources.
- We ensure ongoing assessment of children's learning.
- There is a balance of adult-led and child-led learning.
- We use trips/visitors and other opportunities to enhance the learning experience.
- A topic letter/knowledge organiser is sent home for parents/carers so children can be supported at home. This includes specific vocabulary with definitions. The class pages on the website also offer further learning opportunities at home.
We measure the impact of our curriculum through:
- Progress made from starting points
- Conversations with children that demonstrate they know, can do and remember more than they did before
- Monitoring the work children do and their response to the learning
- Monitoring the impact on children's health and well-being
- Recording aspirations and supporting them through school ethos and the PSED/PSHE scheme